Texas Parent Taught Driver Education
PTDE Program Guide Overview
Requesting the PTDE Program Guide
The Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide must be requested from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) before your teen can begin the course. The PTDE Program Guide contains forms that your teen needs in order to get a learner license!
To request the PTDE Program Guide, fill out the online request form and make payment. The guide costs $20. After you purchase the guide,
you will receive an email with a link to download the guide. Check your spam and junk folders if you do not see the email in your inbox.
Next, download and read the Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide. To check the status of your order, or to download the guide if you do not have an email address, click here.
IMPORTANT: You and your teen MUST have your PTDE Program Guide before starting the course. As per TDLR rules, if you begin the course without the guide, none of that instruction time will count toward your requirement, and you will have to start the course over.
Don't waste your time! Please only start the course if you have your guide.
PTDE Program Guide Contents
The Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide includes most documents you will need to successfully complete the program:
- 6 Core Requirements for the Parent Taught Course
- TDLR Approved Parent Taught Course Providers
- Instructions for Applying for a Student's License
- Learner License Application Checklist
- Behind-the-Wheel Practice Log--30 Hours (DL-91B)- This is a record of required driver training topics, hours, and date of instruction. This is required when applying for a driver license at the Driver License Office.
- Provisional License Application Checklist
- Parent Taught Designation Form--This form is required when applying for a learner license if the parent/legal guardian is not the teen's instructor.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- TDLR Contact Information
Please remember you must not start the online Texas Parent Taught Driver Education instruction until the guide is in your possession.
Note: The teen’s parent or legal guardian must be present when the teen applies for a learner license or driver license at the Driver License Office. If the teen’s parent, legal guardian, or a judge of a court with jurisdiction over the teen designated another adult to instruct the teen in the Parent
Taught Driver Education course, that designated instructor must also be present when the teen applies for a learner license or driver license and the teen must submit a Parent Designation Form (this form can be found in the Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide).